With almost 70% fewer carbs this home made bread will allow you to eat bread again if you believe in a low carb diet. It may not be Panera bread quality but it’s better than nothing.
for 12 servings
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Carefully separate 6 eggs, placing the yolks in a large bowl and the the whites in a medium size bowl.
- Place the 2 whole eggs in the large bowl with the yolks and add the oil. 4. Beat together with a fork or whisk until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt to the egg yolk mixture. Stir the mixture with a spatula until well incorporated and set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer ⅓ of the whipped egg whites to the almond mixture and gently fold the batter together.
- Add the next ⅓ of the whites to the batter and fold in until smooth.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites just until the batter is smooth and no white streaks remain.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased loaf pan with parchment paper and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top has set and formed a golden crust.
- Let the loaf cool for 10 minutes before running a thin knife along the inside of the pan to release the sides of the loaf. Gently unmold the loaf from the pan and remove the parchment paper on the bottom.
- Let the cake cool at room temperature for 1 hour before slicing.